Welcome to the First Families Project

The First Families Project focuses on the "publishing" of family and local history. The First Families Project will always be about documenting our sources and writing historically accurate local histories, but our objective is to tell the stories in a compelling and engaging way that everyone will enjoy reading.

Won't you join us?



Visit The First Family Project

Thursday, November 25, 2010

The Enormity of the Available Data for Research

While reviewing the notes I made some ten years ago in preparation for posting on The First Families of Edgefield County, SC, I have been overwhelmed with the enormity of the data now available.  It has also brought to light the errors in earlier research and new details on people and events not previously known.

As an example when I began this project in the mid 90's my only resource for verifying Revolutionary War Soldiers was a book, "Roster of South Carolina Patriots in the American Revolution" which listed names and regiment only.  Now there is an enormous, wonderful site My Revolutionary War with detailed timelines of the battles,   Almost 10,000 pension applications are on file at Southern Campaign.Org and the SC State Archives has over 11,000 early wills on line (1035 from Edgefield County), all indexed and transcribed.  Additionally you'll find over 51,000 land grant plats all indexed (2012 from Edgefield County).

So why can't I find MY Leroy Hammond?

Perhaps I have.  I just discovered two new leads this morning which I now must dream about and ponder while I'm off to my daughter's house to gorge on turkey.  I'll have to share later what I find.

No comments:

Post a Comment